fortissimo!
I think I might've just been bitten by the piano bug again. This, after watching a piano recital by Adam Gyorgy (honestly I haven't got a clue who that is but he sure as heck plays well).
Which makes me wonder how different my life would have turned out if my parents had actually sent me for piano classes. Would I have excelled in piano? If I did, would I have made a career out of it?
I doubt so. I would probably be one of the many Singaporean kids who, after years of learning the piano, give it up. "There's no way I'm gonna make a living here in music" is what they all say. And even for those who want to pursue music full time, you can count on their parents to dissuade them from doing that (which begs the question why send them for lessons in the first place). To find the perfect combination of willing kids and willing parents is still kinda rare. In this sunny island at least.
I like music. Especially piano stuff. Which is why I was more than a lil' put off by my dad's incessant scoffing at people attending concerts and pianists who perform. Of the people attending the concert, he would say "they're just trying to look high class", and of the pianist "siao ah? play until like that.. so many actions for what" (he's refering to the pianist sometimes swaying back and forth and wave their hands about when they're absorbed by the music). But that's just the way he is I suppose, scoffing away at anything that he doesn't agree with or finds unnecessary.
Anyway, back to the topic. So yeah, I don't think I would have been strong enough to make a living out of music. That's why I have great respect for those who forged ahead in spite of the many obstacles and nay-sayers
For now I'll content with just playing the piano from time to time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home