Thursday, December 31, 2009

goodbye 09, hello big 1-0

Yes, it is that time of the year again when we reflect on how little we have accomplish in the past year and kick ourselves in our behinds that we haven't stuck to any of our resolutions that we have so resolutely made 12 months ago.

I jest, of course. There is no point in bemoaning anything nor torturing ourselves over what we haven't done. Whatever it is, it's all but over and we can only move on. Like what Sam said in her blog, how we leave 2009 is how we enter 2010. Do we really want to start 2010 with a painful behind? Haha...

Anyhoodles, here's my little wrap up of the year of 2009.

Things I'm Thankful For in 2009

My 21st
Though I didn't throw any party or bashes like some of my friends, it was still a really memorable birthday. First of course to Al who planned the little celebration in class, including being the one who got the cake as well as preparing that huge yellow "I'm 21 today" board that's still hanging on my wall now. I know it some parts of the celebration didn't go according to plan (not to mention I walked in on you guys preparing the board and stuff), but know that I am thankful regardless. And who can forget my crazy sec sch and JC friends who pooled money to sponsor a cruise ticket for me! Plus I had Deb, PY and Mel on the cruise with me too! Unbelieveable...

Being able to be a semi-host to Mel's party
I'm really thankful that Mel and her mom trusted me to be the unofficial host of the party (her mom even intro-ing me to their family friends as the unofficial host), though honestly, other than booking the place for her and helping her set up the place, I don't think I did much. But I had so much fun, plus a sense of pride and accomplishment I haven't felt in a while =)

Passing my driving (and one-shotting it at that!)
I wanna thank the non-existent pedestrians (contradictory I know) who made it easier for me to drive without worrying about e-braking (tt's emergency brake, not electronic brake) for, or crashing into, anyone jay-walking, dashing across the road or appearing on the zebra crossing. I also wanna thank my uber scary looking tester for ultimately letting me pass the test despite my abysmal attempt at parallel parking. I wanna thank Sam for the tidbits of advice she gave me on the eve of my test, as well as reminding me not to worry to much about it. Of course to Al, who was with me sms-ly (i.e. she never failed to sms me either before or after the lesson) for every single driving lesson. It annoys her to no end that she actually did remember all my lessons but I'm still thankful coz she still smsed anyway. Also, thankful to my family: my mom who prayed for me in her office from 10plus till the end of my test (11.30), my dad who, though not one who prays, nevertheless reminded me to relax and just do my best, and my brother who wished me luck for my test.

The X'mas potluck picnic@barrage turned potluck dinner at Sam's
Firstly, I'm thankful to Sam for trying to make me worry less about Al during the days leading up to the potluck and for informing me when she got a reply from her. Next, for all the wonderful food that we had. In a relatively affluent country such as ours, we often take for granted the fact that food, not to mention really nice food, is so easily available to most of us. But the fact remains that we all are very fortunate to be born into circumstances that allows us to enjoy such fare, and that there are still those out there, even in Singapore, that struggle just to get a meal. Cliché, but true nonetheless. Also, I'm thankful for the "Truth or Truth" game coz it revealed a lot about my uni friends' thoughts and beliefs which I, on any other ordinary day, would not have known about. A frustrating day that turned out better and more fruitful than I expected.

My wonderful bunches of friends
(by order of how long I've known them) my jr Squiddo (whom ironically is the person from my pri sch tt I'm in closest contact with, not that I'm complaining =D), the Frinkers (Chris, Hwee, Lily, Wansters and the "occasional frinker" melo), my JC gang (Horns, PY and the Queen of Whatever, my dear twin, Mel) and my uni frens (xuelington, yatting, ellena, werewolf and the one and only Prof Al). May we all grow old and mouldy together and have truckloads of fun while we're at it.

Things That Were Quite A Bummer in 2009

Results day
It's not so much that I did horribly that was a bummer (not that it wasn't either). Rather it was the fact that I totally disappeared on my uni friends that day. It was cowardly to say the least.

That I had to miss PY's and Deb's 21st parties
Of all the 21sts I could have missed this year, I had to miss PY's and Deb's. PY's because it coincided with the first day 七月 so I wasn't allowed to go out, and Deb's coz there was a miscommunication plus I fell ill. Bummer with a capital "B".

Resolutions for 2010
Before I list my resolutions, I absolutely must share this entry on Lily's blog which I found to be cynical but nonetheless hilarious (Lily phrases things in the funniest ways)

"You know, if someone really wanted to do something, they would have done it long ago. Why wait for the New Year to make a resolution about doing something? If they really didn't want to do it, they won't do it even if they've made a resolution. BUT! Who am I to go against tradition? =P"

So my resolutions:

1. to stay happy and not let circumstances make me bitter or overly vengeful (however, I still believe that one needs a bit of evil for balance)

2. to do well academically, hopefully pull up my classification

3. get a job so I can provide some financial cushioning for my family and hopefully that'll make my parents quarrel/fight less. From my observation, I do think they still love each other, but the anxiety from being a little tight financially sometimes gets the better of them, especially my mom.

4. to meet my fears head-on and perhaps, in doing so, overcome them


5. be more focused and less prone to distraction in my work


6. I was gonna say "spend less", but I think a more appropriate term would be "spend wisely"


7. not to put off doing stuff till conditions are perfect. Note to self: let's face it, how often does perfection come by? And what if it doesn't?


Yup, I guess that's should be it.

HAVE A GREAT YEAR AHEAD! The fact that the Year of the 21sts is over (read: no more high expenses) would be a great place to start! =X

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home