1
On the way back from work today, I was on a really packed train. When it reached Clementi, this lady was trying to get out. I was trying to see if I could make space for her to alight from the train without me having to step out of the train. She then said to me "can you go out and let me get off first" in a curt manner.
I stepped out. And when I got back into the train, I felt indignant and pissed. Why did she have to speak to me in that manner? Can't she be nicer about it? Then I started to think of a hundred and one sarcastic retorts that I could have shot back at her.
Then I thought: hang on a minute, what good will it do to remain angry? After all, she's already alighted and chances are I'm never gonna see her face again anyway. So why should I stay pissed? Then I told myself to just forget it.
And the rage left me, replaced with a peace that even I was surprised by.
The score now: Rage 57924632 : Me 1
One small step for mankind, one big leap for me. Sure, it's gonna take a lot more time and effort to before I successfully conquer my reflex-rage.
But it's not a bad start if I may say so myself.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home