Monday, August 10, 2009

4 days to the end of internship!

Nope, this entry has absolutely nothing to do with the title whatsoever.


Today I was walking around in IMM with my family. I can't remember how it came to the topic but my mom said "let's see how much you can earn next time". Although she may have said it in jest, it didn't feel very nice hearing that. Did she perhaps doubt my ability to provide for the family when the time comes? Or perhaps she measures a person by how much he or she earns?

It's quite a sad thing isn't it, for a person's worth to be solely measured by something as impermanent as money. If ya think about it, the sole purpose of money is to be spent; we may "save it for a rainy day", but ultimately when the aforementioned rainy day comes, money is still spent. Plus, we're living in a tropical region, and we're an island so rain's bound to come right? Haha...

Well, lameness aside, I've long made the decision to return everything I owe my mom (i.e. the amount she spent bringing me up to financial independence). That's what she expects, that's what being filial is to her and that's what I'm gonna give her. A tooth for a tooth, the debt will be paid.

Yes, I'm aware how cold and unfeeling it may sound. In fact, I use to take it that way, always telling myself how she doesn't give two damns about me. But that's not true. After some time I've come to accept that it's just the way things are here. Just like why some ppl like certain things and others don't: there isn't any explanation for it (none that I can understand now anyway) - it simply is.








And, on a totally random note, I think the badminton bug has bitten me =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home